Yellow Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting
I don’t know what it is about yellow cupcakes with chocolate frosting, but I love them. I think they are proof the simple is better, and of course rainbow sprinkles help too…
Makes approx. 16-18 Cupcakes
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 and 1/4 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 2 and 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup milk, room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line cupcake pans and place aside.
- In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter and sugar until creamed together. Add in egg and vanilla, mix at medium-high speed until combined. Scrape down the sides and up the bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula as needed.
- While ingredients are mixing, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt together in a separate medium bowl.
- With the mixer on a low speed, add the dry ingredients in three additions alternating with the milk, mixing each addition just until incorporated. Do not over-mix. The batter will be smooth, velvety, and slightly thick.
- Spoon batter into cupcake liners filling halfway full. Bake for 18-21 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean. Allow to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
Milk Chocolate Frosting
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 Tablespoons milk
- In a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter on high speed until smooth and creamy.
- Turn speed to low and slowly add the confectioners’ sugar, cocoa powder, and salt. Beat until sugar/cocoa are absorbed into the butter.
- Turn mixer to medium speed and add the vanilla and cream.
- Pipe or spread the frosting onto cooled cupcakes. Don’t forget the Sprinkles!