Tomato Soup Shots with Grilled Cheese
Nothing beats tomato soup.
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs. unsalted butter
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, smashed and peeled
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 3 cups lower-salt chicken broth
- 28-oz. can whole pureed tomatoes
- 1-1/2 tsp. sugar
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/4 tsp Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5-6 quart Nonreactive Dutch Over
- Immersion Blender or Blender
- Using your Dutch oven heat the oil and butter over medium-low heat until the butter melts.
- Add onion and garlic, stir occasionally, until soft but not browned, about 10 minutes. Add flour and stir to coat the onion and garlic.
- Add broth, tomatoes, sugar, thyme, and salt and pepper. Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat while stirring (make sure the flour is not sticking to the bottom of the pan).
- Reduce the heat to low, cover, and simmer for 40 minutes. Discard the thyme sprig.
- Using an immersion blender puree (If you don’t have an immersion blender make two or three batches in a blender or food processor).
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve warm.
For Soup Shots with Grilled Cheese
Make your favorite kind of grilled cheese and cut as long rectangle strips. Fill shot glass with shop and lay on cut grilled cheese on top.