July 13, 2016
Sugar Cookies (That Keep Their Shape)
The most annoying thing is when your sugar cookies fail to keep their shape, this is my go to recipe to prevent that disaster. The key is to refrigerate the cookie, seriously don’t skip that step. Okay now for the recipe.
- 6 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups unsalted butter, (1 lb) in cubes, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs (straight from refrigerator)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract (or whatever main flavor you want)
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon extract (if making something other than plain(vanilla cookies add vanilla instead here)
- In large bowl, sift together flour and salt. Set aside.
- Use an electric mixer to cream butter and sugar until fluffy then beat in eggs.
- Add flour mixture slowly and mix on low speed until thoroughly combined then and in extracts.
- Divide dough in half and remove one half from bowl, roll into a ball, and place on a large piece wax paper
- Wrap the sides of wax paper over the ball, then press down with the palm of your hand to make a disc (2″ thick). Finish wrapping the disc and place in fridge. Repeat with 2nd half of dough.
- Chill for about 45 minutes. <– DON’T SKIP THIS
Steps for cutting out and baking your sugar cookies
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Take a disc out of the fridge and remove wax paper. Place on top of a large piece of parchment paper then add another sheet of parchment paper on top.
- Roll dough to about ¼ inch thick
- If dough got too soft place in fridge for about 15 minutes and cut your shapes using cookie cutters or and placing directly on cookie pan (cookie pan covered with parchment paper) <– DO THIS
- Bake for 10-12 minutes edges will turn golden.